Friday, August 13, 2010

Wrapping the Week

A piano flew off the balcony below me earlier this week. Okay, it didn't actually fly, it was assisted by a large hydraulically powered crane. Quite an operation to behold.

I know I touched on this last week but grocery stores are insane on Thursday afternoons and Friday mornings. This should not be surprising given the fact that Shabbat is approaching and the stores are closed on Shabbat. It does, however, provide an excellent venue to interact with the residents of the city. Or if you prefer, it's an opportunity to be elbowed out of the way while thumping honey dews and watermelons.

I noticed today the sign for the shelter in the basement of my building. "miklat" with an arrow pointing downward. Interestingly enough, this is the same word that appears in the Bible when discussing the cities of refuge. Parashat Shoftim, which will be read tomorrow contains one of the commandments to create the cities of refuge.

Interesting, no?

Hebrew phrase of the day:
Savta sheli noheget yoter tov mimeich! "My grandmother drives better than you!"

Shabbat shalom.

No comments: