Sunday, August 15, 2010

Shabbat in Review

Sometimes it's really wonderful to be doing something unique in the midst of a larger crowd. Other times, it's just as wonderful to do the same unique activity in the context of others who are doing the same.

Obviously in this case I'm talking about Shabbat observance. Yesterday, while I prepared to head off to my lunch, and reunite with my Hadar chevruta, I could hear the residents of the apartment above singing the words of v'shamru, the opening of the Kiddush for the Sabbath day. As I left the apartment moments later and headed up the street, I passed other windows and balconies and heard the same words. Some were quite beautiful, others horribly out of tune.

There's sort of a knowing look that you give to people as you pass them in the street, a nod, a slight smile, sometimes even a verbal greeting. All of which convey a sense of delight and relaxation even in the scorching afternoon heat. The quieter streets, the long leisurely meals, and (sometimes) melodious singing combine to make the elbowing and edginess of the Friday grocery trips bearable.

Hebrew phrase of the day:
Kof ro'eh, kof o'seh. "Monkey see, monkey do"

1 comment:

Miriam said...

jealous you and syd met up!