Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dumpster Diving and Driving

I am familiar with the concept and practice of dumpster diving. Granted, I'm not personally familiar with it, but I'm aware of its existence as a method of reducing waste, salvaging usable items, etc...

However, I did not think that dumpster diving applied to yard waste. Yes, people save their fallen leaves and use it as mulch for the following spring, but what I witnessed this morning was a bit surprising, although certainly not unreasonable.

For context, my current apartment faces the Shalom Hartman Institute and today they were doing some landscaping. I overheard two men having somewhat of a charged exchange about the sod that the Hartman landscapers were discarding in the dumpsters. A fellow in a white car had pulled up and was fishing the scraps of sod out of the dumpster and putting them on the trunk, roof, and hood of his car. From what I could overhear, he is preparing to have a garden this fall, and wants the grass to keep the rains from washing the loose soil away. So, after agreeing that it was okay to take the leftover sod, the man drove away very slowly, trying not to accelerate too quickly, lest his new treasure slide off into the street.

I can only imagine how his speed was probably met with lackluster enthusiasm by the impatient Israeli drivers awaiting him on the main roads.

Bonus Hebrew phrase of the day:
Lama atah m'naseh la'asot pozot? Why are you trying to show off?

No comments: