Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Yom Kippur Wrap: Observations

Disclaimer: There is no way that my words will accurately encompass, describe, or depict my Yom Kippur t'fillah experience, but I will try nonetheless.

Three Yom Kippur observations that I want to share with you.

1) In Israel, daylight savings time ends the week before Yom Kippur. This is done so that the fast begins and hour earlier and consequently ends an hour earlier. Having only done it once in my life so far, I feel like this is the preferred method. Essentially your waking hours during the fast are cut down, which I think results in a fast that is less difficult, but still meaningful. Furthermore, it leaves you with more energy, although less napping time (I would argue this is a positive outcome of the time change), with which to approach the unique Neilah (closing) service of Yom Kippur. Neilah, when we make our final petitions for God's mercy via the Thirteen Attributes, is the culmination of weeks of tshuva and a marathon day. I have never felt adrenaline flowing during Neilah like I did this year. I almost found myself wishing for one more piyut (liturgical poem), begging the sun to remain in the sky, giving me one more chance to petition God.

2)Yom Kippur is universal. I cannot speak to the practices of any individual person or a group of people. However, as I was told ahead of time, there are no cars on the road, and the traffic lights flash yellow for the duration of the holiday. Thus, there is universality of Yom Kippur, even if individual practices vary. Walking in the middle of what would be five lanes of traffic is the rule not the exception. The entire country stops to mark the Day of Atonement, it's both bizzare, unbelievable, and very cool (for lack of a better word).

3) White. Most people are wearing white. People did not arrive at synagogue dressed to show off their newest and most beautiful outfits. As I wrote last week, white is a sign of purity. Following the blasts of the shofar that mark the conclusion of Yom Kippur, we began dancing. A euphoric rejoicing in the work we had just accomplished to achieve atonement, still clad in white, even the dancing was pure.

Look out tomorrow for some more observations and thoughts as we head into the Festival of Sukkot.

No comments: